Many people want to experience the adrenalin rush, the experience of teamwork, and the euphoria of holding guns in battles-without risking themselves to injury or death that is present in the real outdoor event.
With paintball, one can enjoy this battlefield experience safely. Paintball is a kind of combat sport where participants try to shoot their opponents from the game. They do this by firing paintballs from a compressed-gas-powered marker, commonly called a paintball gun. Paintballs themselves are small spherical shaped gelatin capsules that contain polyethylene glycol, other nontoxic and water-soluble substances, and a dye. Paintballs splatter on impact, “marking” the player as hit.
Paintball is played by five million people in the United States. Surveys show that it is actually one of the safest sports; there are fewer injuries per exposure than other sports such as tennis, football, or golf. It is also one of the most exciting, emphasizing teamwork and skill.
Paintball games have several forms. One of these is speedball, or tourneyball. Two teams start at each side of the field, and the game starts when the whistle blows. The object of the game is to accomplish an objective, whether eliminating everyone in the opposing team, retrieving a flag, or reaching a specific point.
To provide cover and opportunities for maneuvering in a usually open field, organizers provide paintball bunkers. Paintball bunkers are obstacles in the field that is used to block an opposing team’s view. They are also used to shield team members from the opponent’s fire.
Paintball bunkers can be made with a variety of materials. Fallen logs, collections of wood debris, rocks, piles of old tires, or other materials can be used as bunkers. In woodsball, a paintball game which takes place in a natural setting such as a wooded area, the trees and other natural features can serve as bunkers.
In modern speedball, inflatable vinyl bunkers are used. These paintball bunkers are available in varied shapes and sizes.
Some of the most common variations of inflatable paintball bunkers include:
1) Can – This is a large cylindrical bunker that stands in a vertical position. Most are human sized or larger.
2) Rollie – This paintball bunker is similar to a can, only that it is placed horizontally.
3) Dorito – This bunker, named after Doritos chips, is a three side pyramid-like bunker and is placed vertically.
4) Temple – This bunker is similar to a Dorito. It is four sided with its top cut off.
5) X-bunker – As its name implies, this paintball bunker is shaped like an X. This is used solely for a type of paintball game called X-ball.
6) Brick – This bunker is shaped like a low rectangular wall.
7) Dollhouse – This paintball bunker has three faces and two bases. It is longer than it is tall.
8) Carwash – This bunker is shaped like an arch. It is longer than it is wide.
9) Snake – A snake bunker is a long, low structure, typically less than a meter high. It is usually placed on one or both sides of a field. A snake bunker allows players to crouch down and move a considerable distance from their starting point while still being protected from incoming fire from most field locations.
So if you find yourself under fire in a paintball game, crouch as low as you can behind one of those paintball bunkers.